By Dr. Jeffrey Frederick
January 18, 2011
Can a V-shape prevent ingrown toenails?
- The v-shape will not prevent a painful ingrown toe nail, it will actually cause your ingrown toe nail to get worse.
- The "v" shape will remain as the nail continues to grow out. The nail will not grow toward the center as some myths would lead you to believe.
- To help prevent ingrown toenails, you should cut your toenails straight across so that they do not curve around and dig into your skin.
- It is also helpful to use a a toenail file so that the nail is not sharp or jagged, possibly digging into the surrounding skin.
- Remember if your ingrown toe nail is complicated by diabetes, neuropathy or poor circulation, you should schedule an appointment to have your toenails inspected by a podiatrist to avoid further complications.